Dear friends in Japan,
As we contemplate the great number of people who have died in this tragedy, we may feel very strongly that we ourselves, in some part or manner, also have died.
The pain of one part of humankind is the pain of the whole of humankind. And the human species and the planet Earth are one body. What happens to one part of the body happens to the whole body.
An event such as this reminds us of the impermanent nature of our lives. It helps us remember that what's most important is to love each other, to be there for each other, and to treasure each moment we have that we are alive. This is the best that we can do for those who have died: we can live in such a way that they continue, beautifully, in us.
Here in France and at our practice centers all over the world, our brothers and sisters will continue to chant for you, sending you the energy of peace, healing and protection. Our prayers are with you.
Thich Nhat Hanh
- 10/04/2013 13:30 - New Plum Village
- 20/02/2012 14:13 - Beyond environment: falling back in love with Mother Earth
- 30/04/2011 16:55 - Mindful Development
- 21/02/2010 17:59 - Oprah Talks to Thich Nhat Hanh
- 18/09/2009 20:53 - Your Moment of Zen
- 15/08/2009 01:00 - Burma's Monks: 'Already a Success'
Last Updated (Monday, 11 April 2011 19:49)