You are welcome to join us for Days of Mindfulness. These days offer a small taste of Plum Village mindfulness practice.
If you are travelling from further afield, we recommend that you stay with us for at least a weeklong retreat, so you can have a complete introduction to our mindfulness practices and „full immersion“ experience of Plum Village.
Below is information for typical Days of Mindfulness that usually takes place in Spring, Autumn and Winter:
What, when & where?
Days of Mindfulness are a full day of practicing mindfulness, in the Plum Village style, as a community. Monks, nuns, and lay practitioners – Plum Village residents, guests, neighbors and friends – come together to listen to a Dharma Talk (ie. a teaching or ‚lecture‘), and to practice sitting meditation, walking meditation, mindful eating, smiling and breathing together.
The Dharma Talks will be given by a resident senior monastic Dharma Teacher, and from time to time we may watch a video of a past Dharma Talk by Thay (Thich Nhat Hanh).
The day unfolds naturally, with as little guidance as possible, so everything can flow relaxingly. Days of Mindfulness in Plum Village are not structured as „mindfulness workshops“ or „classes“.
Days of Mindfulness take place every Thursday and Sunday during general retreat weeks. During the themed retreat weeks like June Retreat and Summer Opening, the monastery will not host a Day of Mindfulness.
Please note that it is not possible to visit for the day in August, as Plum Village is in resting period.
The location of Days of Mindfulness alternates between Plum Village’s hamlets: Upper Hamlet (Thénac), Lower Hamlet (Loubès-Bernac) and New Hamlet (Dieulivol). The entire community gathers in one hamlet for the whole day.
The next mindfulness days will take place on :
- Sunday, September 18th – in New Hamlet
- Thursday, September 22nd – in Upper Hamlet – Lay Day *
- Sunday, September 25th – in Upper Hamlet
- Thursday, September 29th – in Lower Hamlet – Lay Day *
- Sunday, October 2nd – in Lower Hamlet
- Thursday, October 6th – in New Hamlet – Lay Day *
- Sunday, October 9th – in Lower Hamlet
- Thursday, October 13th – in Lower Hamlet – Lay Day *
- Sunday, October 16th – in Upper Hamlet
- Thursday, October 20th – in Upper Hamlet – Lay Day *
- Sunday, October 23rd – in Lower Hamlet
- Thursday, October 27th – in New Hamlet – Lay Day *
- Sunday, October 30th – in New Hamlet
- Thursday, November 3rd – in Upper Hamlet – Lay Day *
- Sunday, November 6th – in Upper Hamlet
- Thursday, November 10th – in Lower Hamlet – Lay Day *
- Sunday, November 13th – in Upper Hamlet
- Thursday, November 17th – in New Hamlet – Lay Day *
- Sunday, November 20th – in New Hamlet
- Thursday, November 24th – in Upper Hamlet – Lay Day *
- Sunday, November 27th – in Upper Hamlet
- Thursday, December 1st – in Lower Hamlet – Lay Day *
- Sunday, December 4th – in Lower Hamlet
- Thursday, December 8th- in New Hamlet – Lay Day *
- Sunday, December 11th – in New Hamlet
- Thursday, December 13th – in Upper Hamlet – Closing ceremony of the rains retreat
* Thursdays are days where lay friends and monastic members gather in separate hamlets. These specific days, traditional to Plum Village, are an opportunity to support each other’s practices during the Rains‘ Retreat. It is also an opportunity for our long-terms friends to take the lead in organizing their mindfulness days and to be creative (especially in the afternoon activities) while being supported by a traditional morning Dharma teaching by a monastic teacher.
Typical program for a Day of Mindfulness
9:15 Sitting Meditation
(please do not enter if the sitting has already started)
9:30 Chanting and Dharma Talk
(please do not enter the Meditation Hall if the Talk has already started)
Short Break for tea
11:30 Walking Meditation through the fields & forest
12:30 Lunch Together in the Meditation Hall
13:30-15:00 Rest / free time
15:00 Dharma Sharing
(small circle discussions on mindfulness practice, or another activity)
16:30 Day ends
Please remember to arrive early so you can enter the meditation hall calmly before the program begins.
How to prepare
We recommend that you read a little about Plum Village mindfulness practice before you attend, as Days of Mindfulness unfold naturally with minimal introductions to the practices.
Please check this page a few days ahead of time to find out where the next Day of Mindfulness will take place as there may be last-minute changes to location.
What to bring
- Please bring a set of earphones, and an extension cable (at least 3m). The Dharma Talks are given in either French, English or Vietnamese. If you do not understand any one of these languages, translation is available.
- If the weather is rainy, please bring appropriate footwear for our country paths (and mud).
- A self-service tea table and vegan lunch is provided for everyone.
- Please don’t forget to bring your donation in gratitude for the teachings and to contribute towards the meal and facilities provided.
We welcome donations, or dana (generosity), in gratitude for the teachings and to support our community to be able to continue to offer those teachings long into the future.
Your donation is also a contribution towards the meal and the facilities provided (meditation hall, sound system, bathrooms, and so on). The suggested donation is €20-35 per person, depending on your means. Donation Boxes are located in the hamlets‘ Dining Halls or you can donate online via this link.
All donations go to support the Plum Village community, officially recognised in French law as a Buddhist congregation known as „Communauté Bouddhique Zen du Village des Pruniers.“
Your generosity is deeply appreciated. Thank you.
We regret that we cannot host you for one-night or two-night stays (the minimum stay is one week). We recommend you consider booking a room in a Chambres d’hôtes in the region of Thénac (Upper Hamlet), Loubès-Bernac (Lower Hamlet), or Duras (New Hamlet).
We look forward to seeing you at a Day of Mindfulness soon!