Join us for our 90-day Rains Retreat (2023-24) where we simplify our lives and deepen our mindfulness practice.
The 90-day Rains Retreat is an annual retreat whose origins date back to the time of the Buddha. It is a time for monks and nuns to deepen their studies, practice, and focus on building the monastic sangha.
In Plum Village, we also welcome lay friends to join us and participate in the 90-days of practice alongside the monastics, either for the entire 90 days, or for one or two weeks. This creates a joyful, community experience, and a time for collective healing and transformation.
The 2023-24 Rains Retreat (October 19 – January 16) will begin with the Counting Stick Ceremony on October 18.
We ask lay friends who wish to participate in the full 90 days to arrive on Friday 13 October.
Please note that unlike the themed retreats, retreatants coming for the Rains Retreat will mostly follow the activities of the residential community. There will be some sessions designed to suit retreatants who are new to the practice.
Important information about joining us for a retreat
- Sample schedule
- Accommodation and pricing
- Other practicalities such as transportation, what to wear, what to bring, and meals
More about the Rains Retreat at Plum Village
- Read about the “fruits” of the a previous Rains Retreat from monastic and lay participants
- Watch a video made at Upper Hamlet documenting a Rains Retreat
- Listen to an episode of The Way Out is In about Rains Retreats at Plum Village
- Read guidance from Thich Nhat Hanh about practicing during a Rains Retreat