An Update on Thay’s Health: 8th September 2015

CBZ letterhead header

Plum Village, France
September 8, 2015

To all Practice Centers and Sanghas worldwide,

It has been two months now since Thay arrived in America, with the hope of getting more intensive treatment to recover from his stroke. Thanks to the incredible support of our Beloved Community we have been able to obtain the very best doctors and therapists for Thay, across all treatment modalities. We are happy to be able to share that Thay is benefitting from the best of Western, Eastern, conventional, and alternative medical approaches. Thay is receiving acupuncture every day, as well as physical therapy, speech therapy, osteopathy, and neurofeedback, with the support and oversight of a phenomenal team of doctors at UCSF.

With Thay’s advanced age, the severity of the hemorrhage, as well as various complex health issues, recovery is extremely challenging. When Thay first started physical therapy, Thay was very engaged and enthusiastic with his therapists and the program that they had created for him. Preparing for Thay’s sessions of physical therapy, we could all feel the joyful determination in his body language. We would tell him, “Thay, let’s get ready for physical therapy” and Thay would raise his fist in the air and smile, as if to say “Let’s go!”

However, the level of fatigue and physical discomfort that Thay was experiencing when we first arrived in the US limited his ability to participate in the sessions. With the help of the whole team of doctors and therapists we have been able create an integrated program of treatment which allows Thay to have restful sleep, and more alertness, ease and peace in his body, enabling him to more fully participate in the sessions of therapy.

A recent breakthrough has been that whilst using a partial weight support walking frame, Thay’s right leg has started to make small movements, initiating the stepping motion.

Thay has received training from three different speech therapists over the last two months, one of whom was able to help Thay speak his first words since the stroke. It was a legendary day. We are happy to be able to share his very first words:

In, out (several times)
Happy (several times)

and “Vui quá” (meaning, “So happy,” in Vietnamese)

It was like a guided meditation. Everyone was crying and laughing at the same time, including Thay.

Unfortunately, as the speech therapist who helped him to achieve this breakthrough lives far from San Francisco, she had to go back home after three days and Thay lost some momentum. We have tried a number of other speech therapists but have not been able to maintain Thay’s initial rapid progress. We are still looking for a local speech therapist, ideally fluent in Vietnamese, who would be able to work with Thay several times per week.

Besides all the medical treatments and therapy, Thay has been able to enjoy the Bay Area, going to visit the beach at least twice a week, enjoying beautiful views of the city and the Golden Gate Bridge, being in touch with nature and the wonderful fresh Pacific air. Every day Thay continues to remind us to enjoy the wonders of life, often pointing at the blue sky and helping us come back to the present moment. Sometimes Thay playfully switches roles with the doctors and therapists, putting a finger on his lips and inviting them to stop. In these moments he often indicates for us to prepare tea so his doctors can have a chance to enjoy a cup of tea in mindfulness. One therapist knelt down by his side, looking out of the window and began to cry silently. She later shared with us that it was perhaps the first time in her life that she had really stopped and appreciated the blue of the sky.

A very good friend of Thay’s came to visit and shared his own experience of balancing his intention to live in the present moment with the natural wish for a loved one to recover as much as they can. He said that every moment with Thay is a “bonus moment,” and that all we have to do is cherish these bonus moments. Every moment that Thay has to breathe, to smile, and to enjoy the blue sky is indeed a bonus moment, reminding us all to appreciate life fully, without expectation, peacefully accepting things as they manifest.

This is the spirit in which we have been continuing our large mindfulness retreats, both in Europe and now in the United States. We know that it has long been Thay’s deepest wish to build a Beloved Community of practitioners, and it has been powerful and joyful for thousands of us to come together and realise that dream in France, Germany and now here at Blue Cliff Monastery in New York, where we have just finished a 5-day retreat. We have generated a strong collective energy in our silent sitting meditations under starlit skies, and in our walking meditations along streams and forest paths. We have sung together, laughed together, cried together, and celebrated the miracle of community. We see so clearly our Teacher’s presence here with us at this retreat; he is not only in San Francisco. As Thay said in 2009 when for health reasons he could not be at the retreat in Colorado:

The presence of the Sangha carries Thay’s presence. Please let me walk with your strong feet, breathe with your healthy lungs and smile with your beautiful smiles.

With great gratitude we thank you for keeping your practice alive, with your mindful breathing, your mindful steps, and your gentle smiles. When we come together to generate a strong collective energy of mindfulness, compassion and insight, we are manifesting Thay’s vision for our collective future. Together we are discovering ways to continue Thay’s legacy of bringing peace, happiness and healing to ourselves and the world.

Please join us at our retreats and events in the US this fall: tnhtour.org

With love and trust,

The Plum Village Monks and Nuns

Future official reports on Thay’s recovery will be posted from time to time at plumvillage.org, langmai.org, villagedespruniers.org, and www.facebook.com/thichnhathanh.

Posted in News Tagged with: , , , , , , ,
84 comments on “An Update on Thay’s Health: 8th September 2015
  1. Cold Bird says:

Dear Sangha,

I hope and pray that our beloved teacher,Thay, is recovering and doing well. I think of him daily and I send him and you my love, gratitude, and appreciation.

It has been a very very long time since your last updated. Please update us on his health conditions and help us eliminate and lessen our worries about him. ..Thank you!

2. Rachel Peru says:

Beloved Thay,

I hope you are well and on your way to recovery. Everyday I am blessed by your teachings and forever grateful. I continue to learn and grow as do my loved ones.

Is there any update on his progress?

3. JF says:

I just came here to check in and see how Thay is. Much love to Thay and those at Plum Village. I also have been reading lately what he has shared about fear, and it has helped bring my awareness to the present and to more deeply see the roots of fear in both myself and those who I do fear. I just wanted to say thank you to Thay for this help.

I wish Thay continued recovery. Love you all.

4. Dear Thay,

You matter.

Get well soon, or come back soon perhaps.

5. Phoenician says:

Please, please, please, give us an update on our beloved teacher, Thay. It has been two months and 20 days since your last update.

Sending you and Thay love and gratitude.

6. Trang says:

Kính Thầy Thích Nhất Hạnh,

Kính chúc Thầy sớm bình phục, sớm vượt qua cơn bệnh này, Impermanent Changing Phenomenon.
    Thầy đã dạy “There is no life; There is no death. There is only Transformation”. Con thấm thía lời dạy của Thầy.
    Je vous remercie profondément. 心から本当にありがとうございました。体に気をつけてください。

Kính Thầy,

Trang

Nha Trang, Việt Nam
    Paris, France
    Brisbane, Australia
    熊本、日本
    California, USA

• Pham says:

Dear Miss/Mis Trang,
      Thầy dạy: no life, no death, only Transformation: Impermanence!
      Don’t worry about Thầy. He can take care of himself. He is in VIRTUAL NIRVANA already. Let’s try to do as Thầy has told us to do: Being mindful! A corpse, a tree, a worm, etc… all are the same.
      Thầy said: Buddha and Jesus are Brothers. Jesus said: God is Love. Jesus is God. He loves everyone of us and his commandment for us is “love one another.”Instead of Nirvana, He promises Paradise and happiness and love. We can find his Teaching in the Gospel. You know Buddha’s Teaching. Since Buddha and Jesus are Brothers, try to learn about Jesus’s Teaching as well. You may find good way from it.
      Au revoir et see you au Paradis

7. Petar says:

Medicine Buddha Mantra: Tayata Om Bekandze Bekandze Maha Bekandze Radza Samudgate Soha

8. 주대진 says:

Dear Thay, Dear Sangha,

Thay has been the most influential human that has ever entered my life. My only wish is to meet him in person. I wish him the best recovery.
    Thank you Thay for changing my life.

9. Edit says:

Dear Tahy thank you for changing my life ????

• Kahue says:

Dear brother Thay,

We have never met in this physical journey – yet we are forever together in the present.

Some physical signs of our connection include:
      *several of your books within our library; and
      *an array/lots of plum trees growing within our New Zealand/Heartland garden of eden – which sometimes I jokingly refer to as a mini Plum Village; and
      *the times when I smile, and think of your encouragement of the smile, such a simple and effective wave, which, even when sightless, moves across beings and earth.

Through bio-rapport, I send to you some of my body flow/movement, so that your body might make use of this, if it chooses.

Through this post I ask those closest to you to check the hospital has the most alive and pure spring water available to drink, to help rebuild the parts of brain (about 80% water) now damaged. A specific water might also assist, one changed/charged using instruments created by John Ellis (http://itsrainmakingtime.com/john-ellis-hydrogen-bonding-angle-water/ ).

Certain music, as we all can feel, is another great healer. Both the music already loved and embedded in your mind (as described by another person posting here), and the music of the universal mind, represented by several composers. Examples include the slow Baroque music Bach composed, played at a tempo of about 60 beats per second (proven to expand memory and accelerate mind-cell re-learning); and Igor Stravinsky’d Rite of Spring; and Alexander Scriabin’s music and colours and smells; and Sergei Rachmaninoff’s music.

Most of all I feel free, for you to do exactly what you seek. Setting-up and co-running any organisation like you have co-created Plum Village uses energy and matter. Now it is for others to contribute more of each. It seems from reading Plum Village web site the intent of your wonderful self is in good hands and minds and hearts.

I represent many who will never meet you hand to hand/eye to eye. We send blessings to your spirit and soul: us each being positively re-directed back to ourselves, so we can take our place in the oneness of the ever turning wheel of life. Your ability to assist us in this re-direction is at the same time timeless and infinite: by your sharing the experience of your own journey, by our reading your words, by us seeing your smile, and feeling your unconditional love. You show us, by example, that once the ‘oneness’ can be seen by many, there will be peace.

Kahue, New Zealand.

10. Meribeth Zane says:

In 2009, a dead tree fell on me striking me in the head and causing fractures in my legs and back. I believe what healed my brain and gave me back my life the most besides God’s amazing spirit was the hyperbaric oxygen sessions I underwent twice a day for wound healing. Please, if this wonderful man is not getting hyperbaric oxygen, I hope someone will suggest this to his physicians!! It works for old strokes and head injuries as well as recent ones.

11. Sam says:

12. Sweet One, Dearest Teacher,
    I hold you in my heart with love. I am a practitioner trained in Feldenkrais, cranial-sacral, interactive guided imagery and mindfulness. I have been in practice for over 25 years. I have been able to help people with strokes, to regain their ability to walk and in some cases to speak although speech is not my forte. If I can be of service I am more than willing to come to you and give you my hands.
    You can contact me if you want through my website.
    In the mean time I send only healing light and love. Namaste, Donna

13. selva says:

Dear Thay, I am a ‘healer’ I wish for you to be healed, and able to be present in this challenging current world. You are a light and a song which is so beautiful and healing that we really do need you here , please keep the faith that there are countless beings working for the same dream to be realised, together, in harmony, all across the world, in every nation and smallest or largest space. The energy is always strong and being reborn, it is working in even the most difficult forms and it will be realised. Do you know this dream? I love you.

Please , please please, can you read my message to Thay?, thank you so much, I love you all, I wish you all a wonderful life and the very same best wishes and love and radiance, x

14. RUIZ LOPEZ DANIELA says:

Hermano Thich Nhat Hanh:
    Os soy bendecida por saber que en este planeta existen seres iluminados como Usted;Luz,Fuerza y Fortaleza para su espíritu y materia. El bálsamo y la unción que Usted necesita esta en vuestro PADRE UNIVERAL (DOCTOR de los Doctores- FUERZA y SABIDURIA de todos los tiempos) en QUIEN amo y creo.El DIOS VIVO que mora en vuestros corazones que atraves del Amor,la Fe y Esperanza se manifiesta en cada uno de sus hijos; como familia universal estamos con usted espiritualmente.La Paz del Señor Sea con Usted y mis Hermanos de Sangha.

15. Pru Grand says:

i am sending healing thoughts to thay.
    i am going to blue cliff for some of the winter retreat.
    enjoy the fall air.
    be with winter.
    embody healing.
    love and gratitude,
    pru

16. I’m here for you, Thay.

17. Claudette Jacques Blanca says:

Dear Thay, Dear Sangha:
    Thanks, Thanks, Thanks, for your presence in my life and the life’s of so many people.
    “A lotus for you all, Buddha’s to be”
    Claudette Jacques from Mexico.

18. Ben Willis says:

I met Thay in the late 60’s in Ft. Worth when I was in Seminary. That sharing and meeting has stayed with me all my life. I reach out to you, Thay, that I may share something with you that will grant you even greater courage, and strength, and peace for you and your message have meant, and mean so much. Namaste. Ben

19. Thuy Nguyen says:

Dear Plum Village Sangha,

Thank you for your update on Thay’s health. I am a Speech-Language Pathologist in the San Francisco Bay Area, and also a native Vietnamese speaker. Please let me know how I can get involved and help with Thay’s speech therapy.

Best regards,

Thuy

20. Roseli says:

That’s really great all the love Thay is receiving from everyone closely involved with his recovery.
    Months ago I watched this speech on TED from this phenomenal complete recovered doctor from her stroke.
    I know she is available for her cause in neuroscience. Please get in touch with her and see how she could help with Thay’s recovery.

Love and Peace and Health for all of you!

21. Lin says:

Dear Thai, we are sending prayers for your recovery. With love, Alina and Octavian

22. Necta says:

John,Thank you for your joyful ctnmiomemt to practice and to the dharma and sangha. You have inspired me to practice, and, as your recent post suggests, I, myself, as a result, have gained freedom, vibrancy, gratitude by applying these practices in my life. Through practice, following my breath, my body has become more tranquil and hence my mind clear, spacious and blissful. I feel more myself, more alive and as a result, more happy. I have learned to have a joyful engagement in my life and have great faith in and awe, enthusiasm and wonder of the precious 3 jewels and realize just that I am truly part of an ever changing sea of change and beauty. The gradual relinquishing of my self-centered likes and dislikes has made it ever more possible to move through my life as an enlightened being would . With deep gratitude, I bow.

23. Jerry Rossman says:

I am so happy to know that Thay is alive, awake and mindful of the beauty that surrounds us all.

24. I am so grateful for Thay in the world. I am grateful for all the words that he has spoken and written that have carved permanent beauty and peace into the universe. Let us recognize that his very being speaks more loudly than words itself, and that his very being is a profoundly full and complete gift to the world, lacking nothing. He has delivered bountiful and boundless words to the world as a field of flowers has spread it’s seeds around the world. Let us focus on his recovering the groundwork of his strength and vitality, joy and happiness, daily.

I am a 40 year holistic practitioner in SF area and want to share that there is a branch of acupuncture specializing in recovery of stroke and paralysis and I hope you are availing yourself of the best experts the SF Bay Area has to offer. The American College of Traditional Chinese Medicine in SF is a renowned resource and has worked in conjunction with California Pacific Medical Center in SF. Although Western science has much to offer, I know from direct experience that the ancient healing wisdom of acupuncture can heal beyond where limited Western science cannot. I have written to the contact form on the Plum Village website, please contact me so that I may offer assistance in this area.
    With devotion.

25. Susanne says:

Dear Thai and Dear Sangha,

Even though I practice mostly Tibetan buddhism, Thay has been the most deep inspiration for me the last thirty years or so.
    Also many of my friends and family, we are all so inspired deep in our hearts of Thai. When I read this announcement about Thay’s current health, tears were flowing down my cheeks like rain…So much love and beauty…
    I want to thank Thay for all his beautiful written books and all his beautiful teachings…opening our hearts and freeing us to life as it is here and now…

Much love and forever thanks from the depth of my heart,
    Susanne

26. Maggie Mae says:

Dwelling in my gratitude for you, Thay! Taking comfort in the words of Truth you have shared with so many minds on this Earth. Maybe…just maybe…you are not speaking now so that your words can come from our mouths…and maybe we can’t see your body so that we can practice seeing you elsewhere. You have been a good and faithful teacher of The Truth, may you rest now in simply being…less doing. Peace be with you Thay!

27. kay maughan says:

Dear Thay I continue to do mindful meditations and try to enjoy every mindful moment and dedicate my practice for you, I am so happy every time I hear your health is improving
    I send you love and Many Blessings kay maughan

28. Margaret says:

Everyday I find a moment to say in Thay’s words, which heard him say years ago, ” to be alive is a miracle.”
    Praying for Thay…

29. Barbara Miyamoto says:

Dear Beloved Teacher Thay,
    It has been almost twenty years since I had my stroke. I had physical and speech therapy for two and a half years. I was in a wheelchair for several months and when I tried to walk I had to drag my left leg by using my hip to move it and then lo one day my knee bent and I could lift my leg slightly. I exercised every day. While I sat to rest, I tried to lift my leg o strengthen the. Muscle and make my leg muscles listen to my brain. My speech therapist had me read the newspaper “out loud” every day and read books to try to improve comprehension and retention. She made me sing songs to help me pronounce words correctly and increase volume.
    Now, I walk everywhere with a cane and even belong to a bookclub.i go to the gym to exercise and even take Chair Yoga class. I am able to drive a car and came to see you in Pasadena last year and what a blessing that was to see my beloved teacher in person to receive your joy. Do not give up hope. Continue working hard every day. Your brain must heal and build new pathways to retrieve mobility and comprehension.
    We all love you and pray for your full recovery. Bless you.

30. Ferenz Kallos says:

Thay, You are alive forever in Countless people’s consciousness ! I send love and prayers to You !

31. Carol River says:

Dear Thay, Dear Sangha,

Thay, thank you for continuing to practice and to teach through your practice and for the way you are. You are so beautiful and have touched my heart deeply.

I was at the 2009 retreat in Colorado, and feel so blessed to have practiced during such a powerful time. I felt Thay’s presence so profoundly–just as much if not more than I had experienced his physical presence the first time I sat with him and the sangha in Estes Park in 2007. I have not been to any large retreats since the 2009 retreat in Colorado. I aspire to share to join the sangha in a retreat again one day and to bring my daughter, who is now 11.

Much love and peaceful breaths,
    Carol

32. Susan says:

Thank you so much for posting this beautiful update. In our home we continue to send all the positive energy we can for Thay’s continued happiness. Even when he cannot speak, he is still always a teacher of how to practice.

Please may we send also our tremendous gratitude to all the monastics who continue to teach and give dharma talks and keep the sangha growing. Thay always says the Buddha is still here with us; we always see the Buddha in Thay and Thay in all of you. Thank you for having the kindness to continue his work which helps us all so much.

33. Lynne Owen says:

Thay has been great teacher over many years and I hope he makes as great a recovery as is possible with help from the specialists in his treatment in San Francisco

34. khadijah kelly says:

I am so thankful that my beloved Thay is recovering, peace and continued blessings to him.

35. Michaela Höfenstock says:

My heart is light as the air about your news. I never forget Thai saying in a retreat that when we are smiling thousands of people all over the world will smile with us. We all need this smiling we have learned from Thai. Lots of smiles to the world and for Thai. Namasté with love Mi/Vienna

36. Many thanks for these updates about Thay’s recovery process.
    Please also try Music Therapy as it can be a wonderfully effective way for Stroke recovery.
    Here is a link to a short video to show how this can work (re: recovery of speech and movement after stroke):

TV Story on Music Therapy for Stroke Recovery:

37. Jeanne Sutton says:

Most dear and precious Thay and sangha,

Your open heart, like a window flung wide open
    Blesses me here in my retreat cabin. Thank you for your teaching which arises in every moment as the freedom and vast heartedness of your being. I am forever grateful.
    May you be well always in all ways. Thank you for teaching us directly and fearlessly about aging and sickness at this time. May we all follow in your footsteps.

San Francisco is so blessed by your presence.

Jeanne Peri Sutton

• Mary says:

I have been thinking of you.I am thinking of you when I walk along the beach and look at the birds.I light a candle for you. Autumn is arriving now.
      I was reading your book “The Art of Communication” I so enjoyed it. I came to see you in Plum Village a few years ago… how special that was. I will always cherish this and the lovely walks past the fields of Sunflowers thankyou. I hope one day I can be more mindful and a better person in this world. Thankyou so much for your writing and presence in this world. Xx

38. Kim says:

Dear Thay, dear Sangha,

Such a beautiful update and reminder of the practice, thank you. Today I was reading an article that mentioned the therapeutic use of singing to restore speech after stroke and other brain injuries, and it reminded me of the story told by another person in these comments. I thought I would share a link to the article and to the lab that specializes in this work, in case it is of benefit:

Singing is such a beautiful part of the Plum Village tradition, and must be such an intimate part of Thay’s being…perhaps this may be another way home for Thay.

Blessings and gratitude to all.

39. Johan says:

Namaste. Wishing him all the best and sending all my blessings.

40. sharyn says:

continue to enjoy the blue sky
    the ocean
    the breezes
    the love of those around you
    simplicity

41. carolyn says:

Get well soon…
    His a superhuman…
    His life journey and pure kind and spirit as human being has touch the people around the world….

one of it..Its me…
    thank you.. so much..

42. Phyllis Stevens says:

Wishing the highest and best

43. Margaret says:

How beautiful this update is!!! To have Thay being able to initiate movement in his leg! To have him speek those beautiful words! Oh, Thay, you are nothing short of miraculous! Blessings For Thay and for Sangha! This is a process of mindfulness and healing. Setbacks come and go, so don’t be discouraged.

Dear Thay, you are making great strides – we are all with you – those you know and those you have yet to meet. Please enjoy this time of healing and know you are loved deeply. I love your way of teaching the doctors – healers need to be reminded that healing is about rejuvenating the connectionwith life. Tea meditation is the perfect way to do it! I have been savoring my food and doing walking meditation in honor of your teachings on the present moment – because of you and sangha, I suffer much less; thank you and bless you!

44. Thank you. In out happy smile thank you blue sky sangha

45. Martine Larrieu says:

Merci merci de nous faire vivre le moment présent avec THAY par ces bulletins de santé . Chaque jour depuis la rencontre de THAY est un jour d éblouissement a la vie .chaque minute est pleine … THAY merci mille fois pour ta sage présence lumineuse ,tu es dans nos cœurs pour toujours chaque minute . Amour amour toujours

46. Artemis says:

I hope that Thay has the chance to enjoy the beautiful fog of the wintertime in San Francisco as well. In the winter, Golden Gate Park’s tourists leave, and the place becomes a delightful, and wheelchair accessible, place to connect with nature and delight in contemplation. I love to hear about the love and care that you are giving him. Thank you so much for the update.

47. Zoya Zeman says:

Thank you, Thay.

48. Theadora Davitt-Cornyn says:

First met Thay in 1997 at UCSB – he led a 6-day retreat, and each morning at 6, we’d gather at the campanile to walk in silent meditation down to the beach below the cliffs.

A group of American military had asked for a ceremony of forgiveness. It was a powerful event to witness.

I remain so grateful for these teachings, and add my blessings for Thay’s continuing recovery…

49. pat johnson says:

my mother had a stroke at age 85; initially she had no speech at all. she began speech therapy with little success but while still in the very beginning phase a woman came who encouraged her to try and sing! the woman knew old favorite hymns that my mother had sung all her life, albeit not recently, and began by singing them to her and asking her to sing along. within minutes! i heard my mom singing entire verses with no hesitation. it was truly astounding. alas, she was not able to continue with this therapist, and subsequent efforts were same old. i was not able to be with her for long stretches of her recovery but she did regain minimal speech, and being a good communicator used it to best advantage. i had never heard of this being tried, nor have i since, but it is clear to me that being able to recapture these familiar words in **song, words so ingrained in her psyche, along with the rhythmic aspect was a powerful trigger which, had it continued, would have yielded great success where by rote exercises did not. you probably see where i am going with this. it takes someone who knows these songs to be there and facilitate and it takes that deep connection to the words and the feeling on the part of the “receiver”. i hope that this may be of service. i just have to add: my mom was never a singer, could barely carry a “tune” and was always a little uncomfortable trying, but she put her all into it this time around.

50. Pete Loane says:

Breathing in I calm my body, breathing out I smile, dwelling in the present moment, I know this is a wonderful moment.

51. Kate Jones says:

With gratitude for That’s life and teaching. Sending healing and love

52. Auma Arunachala says:

Thay is teaching us many very, very important lessons. One in particular is how, when an elderly human being has practiced so sincerely that they have preserved their mental health and can share the deep wisdom from the practice, the younger generation recognizes the offering and will protect them and respect the wisdom of the elderly. If we practice and care for our mind, body and spirit when we are younger, we are not destined to become part of a cycle where the elderly are ignored and abandoned. I believe that it is not cruelty or ignorance that results in this type of paralysis, but rather we do not know how to help and relate when chronic illnesses like dementia have manifested due to a lifetime of inattention to our health. Thay’s teachings since his brain hemorrhage have been a beautiful, happy unfolding for me. I work as a health partner with people in memory care facilities. I can show their children, who are now in their 50-60’s, Thay’s journey and what they can do right now for our own future. This is the smartest way to love our own children, in preserving our health and the possibility of sharing our lifelong wisdom with them. I am most grateful to the Plum Village sangha for sharing so openly and lovingly with all of us and for your absolute determination in manifesting Thay’s continuation. In, Out & Thank you!

53. Thank you for your thoughtful, beautifully written, and tear-bringing post. It seems the doctors and therapists truly understand whose presence they’re in. Indeed, at the Blue Cliff Retreat, as every statement began with, “Dear Thây, dear Sangha,” we all enjoyed a subtle reminder that all of us are the continuation of our beloved Thây, and that without him, we would not be present.

Thank you Thây, thank you Sangha!

54. Lora Graham says:

From the time I first heard him read a poem, years ago in Berkeley CA, I knew he was my spiritual teacher. The sound of his voice has brought me peace through the years.

55. Thank you for allowing us to partecipate. Feeling connected in this way brings great feelings of gratitude.

56. Thay's student says:

Thank you for the update.

I hope and pray to God for Thay’s speedy recovery and to prolong our “bonus” time with Thay. I cherish the Mindful Walk that I did with him in Escondido, California few years ago and may he heal soon so he can touch more wounded souls with his compassion, wisdom and beautiful smile.

57. Diana Viola says:

We may regret Thay’s speech difficulties, but Thay has spoken. There are books, and generously given videos. It is our turn to listen. Thank you, beloved Thay.

58. Joann Malone "True Collective Practice" says:

What joyful news of Thay’s first words in months! He teaches us in his every word, action and breath.
    So important for us to listen to his teachings and BE THAY to our friends and communities.

With great love and gratitude,
    Joann
    “True Collective Practice”
    Takoma Park, MD

59. Victoria Marcelis says:

Thank you for sharing this touching personal update. Many blessings of love, light and healing for the highest good for Thay, and All,
    Victoria

60. Thank you for your beautiful & honest letter sharing Thay’s progress towards health.

61. Lorrin Phuntsog Dronma says:

Thank you.

62. Mitzi Trostle says:

May all beings be free from suffering and the causes of suffering. May all beings be peaceful. May all beings be safe. May all beings be happy. May all beings awaken to the light of their own True Nature. May all beings be free. ❤️❤️

63. Norma Espinosa says:

Thank you so much for these updates on our beloved Thay! I am new to meditation, yet I breathe in and out and I imagine Thay sitting next to me and I feel his love and compassion. Thank you Thay for all your courage and encouragement you give us all by simply Being!!!

64. John McClafferty says:

I have only known Thay from his books and through the devotion of members of my Sanghas. I do not remember feeling to close to anyone I have never met. His continuation is assured and becomes more personal with each sitting and discussion of Thay’s guide to the Buddhist ethic.
    I am grateful to have known this man so well.

65. Debbie Sterling says:

Abundant blessings

66. Cynthia Soltani says:

Every day I make a prayer for Thay to enjoy a wonderful cup of tea.

67. Paul says:

Thank you Thay! Vui qua’. I look forward to updates on Thay’s health. I am inspired by his ability to find peace and happiness in the little things. Keep your shoshin alive!

68. Chris says:

Thanks for sharing a status update. I am on the west coast too and though I have read books by Thay over the years have only recently felt close to him after taking the video course on the body and the self. This whole summer after major surgery has been an eye opening experience and the words Thay speaks have helps give me some perspective. Thanks Thay.
    Chris

69. tttamaluv@yahoo.com says:

blessings to Thay and all who help him recover . I hope the perfect so each therapist is found . Hyperbaric oxygen is very miraculous for stroke recovery . Hope you can research and utilize this . Also for speech .. There are many resources available for speech rehab for specialists for kids with C.p . …. These same specialists would have a lot of k owl edge about speech therapists and who to contact . All my love and faith . Aloha , Tama

70. Sandra says:

Much metta. Xx

71. Pamela Coleman says:

I’m so happy and at peace for Thay. May he continue to be blessed as he truly blesses us all. May his health continue to improve.
    Thank you for reminding us to look at God’s beautiful blue sky, or share a cup of tea in mindfulness and thanksgiving.

72. TJ Branham says:

Be here, now.

73. Marina says:

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

Thank you for this touching update. It is so hartwarming, to imagine Thay being able to pronounce those very special words again!
    I wonder whether you are aquainted with Ms. Anat Baniel’s work (http://www.anatbanielmethod.com/adults/stroke) in San Rafael (CA).
    I have heard dr. Rick Hanson (author of The practical neuroscience of Buddha’s Brain) speak with great admiration about her, during an interview.

She seems to have developed an own soft, gentle and very effective approach.

In gratitude,
    Marina
    Beautiful Respect of the Heart

74. Cheryl Dockery says:

Amazing lengths the soul takes the body to continue to teach, so grateful to his soul and body.

75. Rata says:

Mira que lindo lo de Thay !

76. Teresa Buchanan says:

Thank you for the update. Much love and thanks to the sangha, especially those who are caring for him.
    I hope someone is giving him a nice foot massage sometimes, so his feet can remember the touch of the earth.

77. My Beloved Teacher, Thay,

Enjoy the Pacific Ocean air, breathe deeply….

Feel ‘my smiles surrounding you.’

With Love and Deep Gratitude, my heart is with You.

• Ian & Jenny says:

Master Thay,

May you be filled with a Golden healing Light that has the brightness of a thousand suns

Blessings my brother
      From Glastonbury England

• jane Rhys says:

You are with me every day. Your gentle presence has helped so many. You will heal because you are needed and
        loved. I send you warmest wishes.