Our Beloved Teacher in Hospital

Re: Thay’s present health condition and how to support Thay’s recovery

Plum Village, November 12, 2014

To all Practice Centers and Sanghas World Wide,

With a deep mindful breath we announce to the world the news that yesterday, the 11th of November 2014 Thay, Zen Master Thich Nhat Hanh, experienced a severe brain hemorrhage. Thay is receiving 24 hour intensive care from specialist doctors, nurses and from his monastic disciples.

At present, Thay is still very responsive and shows every indication of being aware of the presence of those around him. He is able to move his feet, hands and eyes. There are signs that a full recovery may be possible.

For the last two months, Thay’s health had already been fragile due to his advanced age. He was hospitalized in Bordeaux on the 1st of November. He was gaining strength day by day until this sudden and unexpected change in his condition.

All the monasteries in the tradition of Plum Village are organizing practice sessions to generate the energy of mindfulness and to send Thay this healing and loving energy. We would like to ask the whole worldwide community of meditation practitioners to participate and support us in this critical moment. We know and trust that Thay will receive all your energy and that this will be a big support in his healing and recovery.

Our practice of stability and peace in this very moment is the best support we can offer to Thay. Let us all around the world take refuge in our practice, going together as a river to offer Thay our powerful collective energy. We are all cells of the great Sangha Body that Thay has manifested in his lifetime.

Future reports on Thay health and recovery will be posted officially at www.plumvillage.org, langmai.org, villagedespruniers.org, and www.facebook.com/thichnhathanh.

On behalf of the Monastic Dharma Teacher Council of Plum Village,

Bhikkhu Thich Chan Phap Dang
Bhikkhuni Thich Nu Chan Khong Nghiem

Plum Village Autumn Leaf

Posted in News Tagged with: , , , , , , , , , ,
30 comments on “Our Beloved Teacher in Hospital
  1. jane says:

Blessing to a wonderful soul..

2. Don Baer says:

Dear Thay

As a novice, I send you my love, and pray that you will recover soon.

With deepest respect,

Don Baer

3. Victoria Schafer says:

Sending all the love I can muster along with much tonglen practice. It is not an exaggeration to say Thich Nhat Hanh’s writings saved my life and continue to beautify it.

4. Eduardo says:

Dear. We all are energy. Simple and powerful energy. I desire health for all. Peace and Love.

5. Liat Shovl (Pele) says:

Dear friend.
    I had just sent a request for your village. To arrive. For a retreat. And so to also meet Thay in this life time. I was very sorry to hear. He went under health difficulties. I hope by March he is allright. I send him Much Love and healing blessings.
    For his highest atmost best.

Much Love. Peace. And Health.

6. Koo Moon says:

I am a practioner, looking and listening video tapes of Thay.
    Thanks to the teaching of Thay,I was able to see the shadow of Buddhism, after more than 50years of studies by Buddhist scriptures.

I think Thay is staying with us forever.

7. Claire says:

Dearest Thay, I hold you in my heart and am sending you all my love.
    Claire x

8. Barb says:

I along with all those who Love him, pray for Thich Nhat Hanh’s full recovery and that he may continue God’s work. In His Love, Barb

9. hosahalli and ganga padmesh says:

our prayers are with our teacher, god be with you. Wishing you a speedy recovery,.

10. Nguyen Ngoc Bach says:

Please tell me about Thay’s health today 1-1 2015 ! I’m so worried.I pray for his full recovery every day.
    My best regards

11. Roger Iles says:

Dear Thay, you have been in my thoughts and heart recently. You bring me strength and piece of mind in times of change. I wish to give you strength and comfort and hope you find what it takes to continue to walk this miraculous life with us.

12. Michele White says:

I was so saddened to learn of Thay’s illness. A peaceful walk in the snow tonight, Christmas Eve, will be dedicated to the healing and full reoovery of Thay. Sending love, strength and support to all in the community as well. Merry Christmas.

13. Jennifer L Wood says:

I pray for wellness, Thay. I am sorry for your illness and know with your mastery of all things, strength and healing will be yours!
    I have always wanted just to see you in person, as I believe my eyes would forever change for such good and show my body and soul such peacefulness….. My prays will continue to be with you! Jennifer……Mandeville, Louisiana.

14. Barb says:

I hold him in my prayers.

• Timbo says:

Rise thich nhat Hahn. Sending a core of Orange glow engery to meld the molecules and heal the pathways.x

15. Charles LeRoy says:

I just learned of Thay’s medical condition. I am extremely concerned and hope for his speedy recovery. May I please offer prayers, heartfelt concern and love to Thay and our Sangha as we (all) pray for his recovery and ease of any physical pain. Always in our prayers and thought.

16. Harleymom in ADKs says:

Thay & helpers, please accept my most heartfelt loving wishes for a brilliant transformation, be it back to health or to your return to stardust. The mountains & trees are attentive & grateful.

17. Soledad_Di_Pede_Di_Pede says:

Desde Chile, mis plegarias y profunda respiración consciente para mi maestro. Tengo sólo gratitud en mi corazón por sus enseñanzas y profundo amor entregado a la humanidad completa.

Sanación y recuperación completa para Thay.
    Mis pensamientos y oraciones están contigo.

18. #Thichnhathanh in #hospital
    Greatly respect this amazing being!
    Strokes (and heart attacks) happen so often to our highly evolved teachers.
    My spirit guides have told me it is because of the high energy that is ‘run’ through their bodies.
    The analogy they gave me is that our bodies are ”wired” for 110, but working with the spirit world is like plugging into a 220 outlet and running that 220 energy through our human bodies.
    That is why they have told me that for every hour I spend working in the spirit realm (especially the channeling work) that I need to spend about 3-4 hours ”resting” in the physical world. By resting they don’t mean necessarily sleeping, but being peaceful, quiet, being quiet in nature and other peaceful, nurturing things. Washing dishes, mopping floors (working with water) are also some of those restful, restorative activities.

19. Venerable Thich Nhat Hanh,

My Metta is beaming from my heart directly to yours. Thank you for lighting up this world through every thought, word, and action on your behalf. I bow my head three times to you.

With Unlimited Metta,

20. Eva_Thurfjell says:

May Thay be free from suffering <3

21. Much love and positive energy directed to you, my teacher. Namasté

22. susan says:

Sending love and prayers for comfort and healing. May you be free from suffering, and know the joy, peace, and wholeness that your spirit and your wisdom have brought to our world. With deepest gratitude.

23. Teala_Spitzbarth says:

My father had a brain aneurysm 16 years ago, and made a very good recovery. I offer the merit and light of our family’s healing path to beloved Thich Nhat Hanh’s complete recovery. May our footsteps through that path ease his journey through it. May all who attend to him rest aware within their own infinite wealth, extending support for his healing from these depths. May all the world Sanghas be a calm field of merit and sustenance for Thay’s recovery and continued sharing of this great inner wealth!

24. Tanya Burnham says:

Please accept my deepest wishes for healing and peace. Strength is difficult when there is great suffering, so it is a strengthening energy that I am sending to you all. With gratitude and love may my energy pass through your pain.

25. ….sending love and gratitude….

26. Debra Ehrlich says:

I will send loving healing to our teacher who started me on my spiritual path many years ago.

27. Sonnische says:

Dear Thay, dear Sangha, our thoughts, our hearts and our entire beings are with you now. If it be possible, we hope for our beloved teacher’s recovery. Every moment may you be at ease, may you be safe and may you be free from suffering. May you be happy.

28. Penelope Conlan says:

Sad news…healing thoughts and prayers are sent with hopes of a full recovery.

2 Pings/Trackbacks for "Our Beloved Teacher in Hospital"
  1. […] Read the whole statement at Plum Village’s website. […]

2. […] Here is an official announcement from Plum Village regarding Thich Nhat Hanh’s health. […]