- Personal towel
- Alarm clock
- Water bottle / thermos / travel mug
- Appropriate footwear (We recommend: waterproof shoes for wet and muddy rural paths; comfortable shoes for short hikes; casual shoes that are easy to slip-on and slip-off at the entrance to the meditation hall; and indoor slippers for the dormitories and residences)
- Appropriate clothing (don’t forget suncream & sunhat in Summer)
- Your own sleeping bag (if you’re coming for the Summer Retreat). Pillows and sheets are provided.
- A print-out of your invoice / payment information
- The Teachings are given in various languages. We recommend you bring your own earphones, plus a long audio extension cord (approx 3 to 5 metres) to be used with our translation equipment. If possible, please bring headphones
with volume control so you can adjust your own volume. We have a limited number of headphone to borrow or rent.
- During our peak season (Summer Retreat etc) we may not have enough cushions and meditation benches. Feel free to bring your own if you would like to sit on the ground. (NB. There will always be enough chairs).
- Insect repellent (in Summer)
- All clothes-washing in Plum Village is by hand. We provide basins; please bring your own laundry soap.
- If you are a light sleeper, and staying in a room or dorm, you may like to consider bringing earplugs
- Some plastic tupperware or snack boxes (we usually have three picnic packed lunches every week during big retreats)
- We suggest you check the weather forecast for Upper Hamlet in Thenac, Lower Hamlet in Loubes-Bernac, and New Hamlet in Dieulivol.
- In general, please bring any items you feel are necessary for your comfort.
- We cannot accommodate pets in Plum Village. Please do not bring them.
- Each Hamlet has a small shop with most things you might need (drinks, notebooks, snacks, toiletries, postcards & stamps etc)
- We try to keep our retreats cellphone-free and internet-free. There is limited, restricted internet access for urgent purposes only. Please remember to put an auto-response on your email, and to print out all your travel documents before you arrive. We recommend asking friends & family to support your retreat by limiting phone communication (you could arrange a specific day to check messages or make a call).
- If you’re staying in a room or dorm, please check your registration information to see if you need to bring any bed linen (in most cases it is provided, but it varies by accommodation type and hamlet).