Love Letter to the Earth

TO CELEBRATE EARTH DAY we would like to offer you the following mediation, which is a is a love letter to the Earth, written by Thay. It is a contemplation that can help create an intimate conversation, a living dialogue, with our planet. Above all, it is a practice of looking deeply.

Excerpted from “Love Letter to the Earth” by Thich Nhat Hanh

BELOVED MOTHER OF ALL THINGS

Dear Mother Earth,

I bow my head before you as I look deeply and recognise that you are present in me and that I’m a part of you. I was born from you and you are always present, offering me everything I need for my nourishment and growth. My mother, my father, and all my ancestors are also your children. We breathe your fresh air. We drink your clear water. We eat your nourishing food. Your herbs heal us when we’re sick.

You are the mother of all beings. I call you by the human name Mother and yet I know your mothering nature is more vast and ancient than humankind. We are just one young species of your many children. All the millions of other species who live—or have lived—on Earth are also your children. You aren’t a person, but I know you are not less than a person either. You are a living breathing being in the form of a planet.

Each species has its own language, yet as our Mother you can understand us all. That is why you can hear me today as I open my heart to you and offer you my prayer.

Dear Mother, wherever there is soil, water, rock or air, you are there, nourishing me and giving me life. You are present in every cell of my body. My physical body is your physical body, and just as the sun and stars are present in you, they are also present in me. You are not outside of me and I am not outside of you. You are more than just my environment. You are nothing less than myself.

I promise to keep the awareness alive that you are always in me, and I am always in you. I promise to be aware that your health and well-being is my own health and well-being. I know I need to keep this awareness alive in me for us both to be peaceful, happy, healthy, and strong.

Sometimes I forget. Lost in the confusions and worries of daily life, I forget that my body is your body, and sometimes even forget that I have a body at all. Unaware of the presence of my body and the beautiful planet around me and within me, I’m unable to cherish and celebrate the precious gift of life you have given me. Dear Mother, my deep wish is to wake up to the miracle of life. I promise to train myself to be present for myself, my life, and for you in every moment. I know that my true presence is the best gift I can offer to you, the one I love.

FOR US TO SURVIVE, both as individuals and as a species, we need a revolution in consciousness. It can start with our collective awakening. Looking deeply, with mindfulness and concentration, we can see that we are the Earth and, with this insight, love and understanding will be be born.

There’s no limit to where or how any one of us can have an intimate conversation with the Earth. You may even like to write your own love letter to Mother Earth.

Tagged with: , , , , ,
13 comments on “Love Letter to the Earth
  1. Jiin Lee says:

you are always in me, and I am always in you.

2. Miguel Leon says:

Mother. Yes, Mother. Mom. I love you💓

3. Rezinate says:

Well said

4. Sherry says:

I am so touched by this letter to our Mother earth.Mother earth,we belong together!

5. pablo says:

qué fantástica canción ……….. !!!!!! cuándo llegarán las miles de voces a celebrar tus latidos …’!!!!…..

6. I am a Brazilian citizen trying to feed more persons as possible through a food bank first created by me in Brazil inside the civil environment. We still have millions of people without food even though we are one of biggest country that produces all food in the word

7. Chris Spiro says:

…and you continue to inspire. I am so glad you are part of me and my journey and I continue to be amazed by all the precious moments that I stumble upon.

8. Francisco Javier says:

Que bonitas palabras…. Querida tierra, te siento, te veo, te oigo… Estoy en mis primeros pasos en un sendero vellisimo de mi presencia y consciencia…. Te deseo amor y paz querida tierra.

9. Petr says:

Dear Mother I’m happy to be there together in the perfect moment in our life.

10. Griffith Mark says:

Thank you for these words, My friend. Peace be with you.

11. Griffith Mark says:

Be well and happy, my friend. Peace be with you.

• Christiane Lieske says:

Heilige Mutter Erde❣️

Mögen alle Wesen glücklich sein

Mögen alle Wesen Liebe geben und Liebe empfangen

Mögen alle Wesen Frieden geben und Frieden empfangen

Heilige Mutter Erde du erfüllst uns mit Frieden und hüllst uns in Liebe

Danke dafür

In Achtung und Respekt
      Deine Tochter Christiane 🕊

Verehrter Thich Nath Hanh❣️
      ein großer Wunsch meiner Seele wäre, Ihnen persönlich zu begegnen, um in Ihre Augen zu schauen! Sie haben mich mit Ihrem Brief an Mutter Erde zu Tränen gerührt, weil ich mich gerade heute nach langer Zeit in der Dunkelheit daran erinnert und auch geschaut habe, wie wunderschön und heilend unsere Mutter Erde ist.

Eine gute Zeit in Achtung und Respekt an ALLE
      Christiane Lieske , Deutschland

12. Nancy says:

Thank you for this beautiful wholesome thinking