Thay arrives in Vietnam

Plum Village
August 29, 2017

To all Practice Centers and Sanghas worldwide,

We are very happy to confirm that earlier today, 29th August 2017, at 12h35 local time, our dear Teacher landed safely at Đà Nẵng airport in Vietnam. This is his first visit to Vietnam since 2008.

In recent weeks Thay has expressed a strong wish to visit his home country once more, and the sangha is delighted to have been able to realise his wish. Thay’s trip will include a visit to Plum Village’s Root Temple, Chùa Từ Hiếu, in Huế, where Thay began his monastic training in 1942.

We would like to express our deep gratitude to our global community for your continued generous support for our dear Teacher, both materially and spiritually. Your support has given Thay immense strength for his recovery, and has helped make this trip to his homeland possible.

We know how precious it is to still have our dear Teacher with us, radiating great courage, strength, and presence. And we know that Thay draws his energy from the daily practice of every one of his students across the world. He is present with us, every time we take a mindful step or mindful breath, and bring peace and joy to ourselves and the world around us.

While there are no plans for any retreats or public events during Thay’s visit to Vietnam—to help conserve Thay’s health—we encourage you to join us as we continue his vision of a collective awakening, by participating in events in 2017 “Awakening Together, Healing the Ancestral Heart” US Tour (with events in New York, California, New Mexico, Tennessee, and Mississippi), our 2017 UK Tour, or by visiting one of our mindfulness practice centers around the world.

Walk With Me,” the documentary film about Thich Nhat Hanh and Plum Village, narrated by Benedict Cumberbatch, premiered to sold-out screenings in the US this month, and has begun opening in cinemas across the US, Europe, and Asia. We hope everyone in our worldwide community will have an opportunity to enjoy this cinematic journey into our world of mindfulness, and to share it with friends, helping realize Thay’s vision of transforming cinemas into meditation halls.

As Thay said on his second return trip to Vietnam in 2007, “I’ve been a monk for 65 years, and what I have found is that there is no religion, no philosophy, no ideology higher than brotherhood and sisterhood.” Thay reminds us that with solidarity and true brotherhood and sisterhood, everything is possible.

With love and trust,

The Monks and Nuns of Plum Village

Future official reports on Thay’s recovery will be posted from time to time at plumvillage.org, langmai.org, villagedespruniers.org, and www.facebook.com/thichnhathanh, as well as at thichnhathanhfoundation.org.

Thay arrives at Da Nang airport, 29 August 2017

Download this announcement as PDF (letter)

Posted in News Tagged with: ,
28 comments on “Thay arrives in Vietnam
  1. Chris, LIN says:

Namo Buddhaya.
    Namo Dharmaya.
    Namo Sanghaya.

2. Susan Buckser says:

Gives wonderful extra depth to “I have arrived. I am home.”

Thank you, Thay, for everything.

3. Doreene says:

Blessed be our peace-maker thay♡

4. Timothy says:

Thay’s teachings and practices are with me everyday. Helping make beauty and the love in life available to me as I come back to my breathing.
    I am grateful to have this practice that Thay has brought to our collective awareness.
    May Many blessings of joy and deep warmth of heart be yours on your travels to your homeland of Vietnam. With Love.

5. Paul Gibby says:

Sending thanks to Thay for his teachings, which I have just found when I needed them most. And also wishes for joy for him in his homeland.

6. Chan Vien Chieu. Gilly Setton says:

Feeling profound happiness that Thay has been able to return to his homeland. And deep gratitude to all his team and the Vietnamese governement for this event.
    I remember his radiant smile as he landed upon his first return to Vietnam.
    May peace be with him and all of us his children of eternal love.
    Breathing with Thay and all of us.
    “Chan Vien Chieu”
    Gilly Setton

7. Stef Maitri says:

Dearest Thay,
    You have given us such treasure, we love you so. No birth, no death.

8. Ruth says:

Dear thay
    I am so happy you are home…and hope you find much joy and peace.
    I commend you in your hope of peace in burma. The buddist way is of peace and compassion.i hope that is resolved there soon.
    Much love
    Ruth

9. Rachel says:

I love you Father. May you have peace in your heart eternally. Thank you for loving me.

Rachel
    Dublin, Ireland

10. Jenna H. says:

I have been learning from Thay’s writings, amd his words have made this world feel safe for me in a way it hasn’t been since i was a toddler and my world became frightening. And I’ve learned from him that the earth is a beloved place to be a connected part of. And that there is a more peaceful, connected way to live my life.

Despite that Thay is from a faith different than my own, he is a great teacher to me, one of the greatest i have ever encountered in all my lifrle.
    I will forever be grateful to him and hold his teachings close in my heart.

Many of his teachings talk about walking. I used to love walking, but I have been struggling to relearn to walk for past 19 months. I see in the photo Thay is sitting in a wheelchair too. That makes me feel even more connected to him.

I am so glad he gets to go Vietnam. I hope he has a wonderful trip and it is everything he hopes it to be and more.

11. Maria says:

Dear Thây, dear Sangha,
    I am so grateful to our teacher, our community, our spiritual ancestors and our Vietnam land ancestors for the gift of They’re presence and teachings.
    In gratitude I bow

12. Celeste L Robins says:

Dearest Thay, I was with you in Vietnam in 2008 and now my heart is with you as you return to your beloved sangha in Hue. I can easily imagine you there with a smile in your heart. May it feed you in body and spirit.
    Celeste (Generous Bird of the Heart of the Source)

13. Cristina & Tamara says:

” He llegado,
    estoy en casa ”
    xx

14. Ingrid Ong says:

🙏💕

15. What wonderful news – am so happy for dear Thay. Trish Palmer

16. Nguyen Thuan Hue says:

Adidaphat

17. Nguyen Thuan Hue says:

Cau mong Su Ong that nhieu suc khoe…

18. Kaeli says:

I am very happy for Thay and for all of you at Plum Village! He has given us so much.

19. Whitehouse Désirée says:

Dear Thay,you have arrived you are home, am so happy for you.Thank you dear Thay for your loving kindness, your teachings.You will always be in me.
    With love and gratitude.Désirée Whitehouse.

20. CT says:

Dear Sangha,
    It is always impressive how you demonstrate what you teach. I promise to frequently practice and cultivate your teaching. Your new Version of the Hear Sutra is unmatched and true. Although no comparison should be made, I have to say that you have taught me not less than the Buddha.
    With greatest love and respect I send to you, dear Thay and dear Sangha: Gate, Gate, Paragate, Parasamgate, Bodhi Svaha!
    Christian

21. Jill H Cooper says:

This is such joyful news. Am exceedingly happy for Thay. My Prayers and thoughts are with him in his journey. PEACE.

22. marco valente says:

Dear teacher, your presence is always shining a light on us and we wish you a time of peace and mindful reunion with your homeland. May you be well!

23. Judith E. Stevens says:

Dear Teacher,
    Your presence is always within me.
    Judith
    True Collective Achievement
    9 October, 2011

24. Jaimi says:

💜🙏

25. Happy says:

“We know how precious it is to still have our dear Teacher with us, radiating great courage, strength, and presence.”
    _()_