Date(s): Jun. 28, 2019 - Aug. 04, 2019
Plum Village - all hamlets
Every year, we offer four weeks of Summer Retreat to everyone, including families and children. The number of retreatants is great and the number of monastics is limited. In order to meet the needs of our retreatants, we rely on many helping hands, especially from practitioners who have been practising in Plum Village tradition before. Serving as a volunteer can be a very rewarding and fulfilling experience. Volunteers practice mindfulness in a spirit of joyful service while helping to foster harmony and well-being. Volunteers practice as members of our spiritual family. The cost of the service retreat is a small fraction of the cost of a normal retreat in Plum Village.
Length of stay:
The Summer Retreat will be started on July 5, 2019, and ended on August 2, 2019.
The arrival day for the Service Retreat will be one week before, on June 28, 2019. Coming a week before the retreat starts is very important. During this week, you will have a chance to come back to yourself, to cultivate the energy of mindfulness, concentration, joy, brotherhood and sisterhood, and be ready to welcome other practitioners.
You are also invited to stay for a few more days after the retreat ends to help cleaning the hamlet and have time to rest and enjoy the tranquillity of the hamlet when the other retreatants have left. We also would like to spend this time to express our gratitude to you for being a great support for us during the summer retreat. The departure day for the Service Retreat is August 4, 2019.
The German Children program and the Dutch Children program have different arrival dates, please read more information about the New Hamlet Volunteers Program.
What does the volunteer offer during the Summer Retreat:
• Your joy and your practice of mindfulness
• Coordinating the mindful service activity of a family
• Helping in the children program
• Helping with translation
• Other responsibilities for example housekeeping, driving, food storage, and tea house
You will find more information about it when you click to the specific hamlet.
If you are interested in children program, here are some more details:
• Upper Hamlet receives French, Spanish, and Italian children
• Lower Hamlet receives English children
• New Hamlet receives Dutch and German children
In order to be able to guide the work and be a supporter of other practitioners in the families you need:
– to be in good physical and mental health
– work harmoniously in a team
– are responsible, diligent and thorough
– to have been to Plum Village or other centres of Plum Village before
Each volunteer must provide a copy of the ID card, the proof of health insurance and visa if needed. Children’s program volunteers need to send a Child Protection Certificate, police check record, or similar document from your country. For residents of France, please refer to https://www.cjn.justice.gouv.fr/cjn/b3/eje20.
All summer retreat volunteers are required to camp as we have limited indoor accommodation.
If you are interested in being a volunteer for the Summer Retreat, please choose the hamlet that you like to stay in and fill out the application form of that hamlet. We ask for your patience as it might take us a few weeks to get back to you.
• Upper Hamlet receives single men and couples volunteers who speak fluently English. French or Spanish or Italian speakers are most welcomed if they can communicate clearly in English. (Except for the children program, the French, Spanish or Italian speaking women).
• New Hamlet receives single women and couples volunteers who speak fluently English. Dutch, French, German, Italian, Spanish speakers are most welcomed if they can communicate clearly in English.
• Lower Hamlet receives single women and couples volunteers who speak fluently English. French or Spanish speakers are most welcomed if they can communicate clearly in English.
If you would like to find more information about each hamlet or fill out the form please click here:
For more information please write to us at the following address:
Staff Program at the European Institute of Applied Buddhism, Germany: https://plumvillage.org/news/eiab-staff-program/