An Update on Thay’s Health: 30th November

Plum Village
November 30, 2014

To all Practice Centers and Sanghas World Wide,

As the Winter Retreat continues to unfold in all our practice centers in Europe and America, Thay’s condition in the hospital remains stable.

Thay continues to rest peacefully with the ticking clock on his pillow, and we sense that he is relying on his deep awareness of breathing, rooted in Store Consciousness, to guide his healing process. Even the doctors have been surprised at the consistent level of oxygen in his blood. Thay is truly the best breather in the world, inspiring us to deepen our full awareness of the breath. Thay continues to remind us that each day we are alive is a miracle, and that simply to breathe is a gift.

The latest scan shows that Thay’s hemorrhage has slightly reduced in size. The edema is still present, but has not worsened. The doctors have met to re-evaluate their approach and review how to nourish Thay’s body more as we enter medium-term treatment. Thay continues to receive 24-hour care from his monastic attendants as well as hospital nurses. We are very grateful for the commitment of the hospital neurologists who are maintaining Thay’s healing process with open hearts and minds.

Earlier this year, Thay accepted an invitation from Pope Francis to go to the Vatican on December 1 & 2 to support a global initiative to end modern slavery. A delegation of 22 monks and nuns, including Sister Chan Khong and Thay Phap An (Director of our European Institute of Applied Buddhism in Germany) are now in Rome to realise Thay’s wish.

We continue to be grateful for your messages of support and the energy of mindfulness and compassion being generated for Thay. Wherever we are, we know that our practice of nourishing and healing ourselves is the best way we can all take care of Thay, and take care of the present moment.

Because suffering is impermanent, that is why we can transform it.
Because happiness is impermanent, that is why we have to nourish it.

-TNH, 10th June 2014

With trust and love,

The Monks and Nuns of Plum Village

Future reports on Thay’s condition will be posted officially at,,, and

Thay offering the Namovalokiteshvara chant  in Hong Kong, 2013. Photo: Kelvin Cheuk

Thay offering the Namovalokiteshvara chant in Hong Kong, 2013. Photo: Kelvin Cheuk

Posted in News Tagged with: , , , ,
14 comments on “An Update on Thay’s Health: 30th November
  1. Phan Dieumy says:

Get well soon Thay.

2. Robert Smith says:

As I don’t have a sangha near me, Thay’s writings and talks have been the major guiding force in my practice of mindfulness, meditation and Buddhist teachings. I am glad to hear that he is stable and appears to be improving. My energy goes out to help him heal. Thay’s energy has improved my life, and now I hope that I can do the same in turn. Namaste! _/|\_
    Rob Smith

3. Kevin | USA says:

As Thay says…”The greatest gift you can give anyone is your
    attention”. Thay you have my attention. “I am here for you.” I offer
    you my love, peace, compassion, and prayers. Be well.

4. Sebastien says:

“I first thought to post something for Thay to water his seed of
    happiness. After reflecting and meditating I thought such a great
    master would probably want me to focus my energy of compassion to all
    his followers, students, and friends who might be suffering during
    this time. We have never met before but I felt part of your Sangha
    with your online presence. Thank you for teaching me one more time to
    let go, and if the condition are still sufficient for your
    manifestation to remain with us I’m looking forward to a great
    teaching on going back to the unmanifested. A Lotus for you Buddha to

5. Kevin says:

As Thay says…”The greatest gift you can give anyone is your
    attention”. Thay you have my attention. “I am here for you.” I offer
    you my love, peace, compassion, and prayers.

6. kay maughan says:

Dear friends at plum village I am very happy that Thay is stable and making progress I pray and breath love and many blessings for Him i also do Tonglen and Green Tara.

Many blessings to all Kay

7. Barbara Bassenberg says:

thank you so much for this information. I am so happy to hear, that Thay is on a good way. I was in Waldbröl and I could hear an watch all his words and
    giving us so good information for breathing and walking meditation.I hope
    and for him and send him every day my energie and good wishes. I send also
    to all of you my best wishes.
    that is a very good news, that munks and nons from plumvillage are now in Rom in the vatikan and the can pry together for thay, our dear friend and teacher. all the best wishes to all of you

8. Elsa says:

May you be peaceful
    May you be happy
    May you be free from pain
    May you be free from fear

9. Susan Patrick says:

Peace and healing to you my teacher. As you continue to teach us and urges to love and support all, living a lifetime in every breath and every moment.

Peace, Peace, Peace, Namaste

10. aimee ballou says:

I am thinking a lot of thays healing. i try to draw on and share the notions which he has brought to us. I am grateful in my heart for his presence among us. Thay has brought me closer to bhuddism and my practice of peace. my heart is warm. –

11. Marilee Pittman says:

Thay has changed my life. Because of his teaching I savour every moment of this previous life. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

12. I will keep Thay’s healing process in my prayers