Thich Nhat Hanh in Thailand

thai-pv-logo-1

Thai Plum Village International Practice Center
17th December, 2016

Official announcement

The Thai Plum Village Sangha is delighted that our beloved teacher, Thich Nhat Hanh was strong enough to travel to Thailand a week ago, arriving in the early morning on Saturday, December 10.

15385428_726468817511820_962135745217869699_o

Thay arriving at Bangkok airport

During his stay in Thailand, Thay will be residing in his thatched hut at Thai Plum Village International Practice Center, Pakchong, Nakornratchasima Province. Thay has an opportunity to rest and restore his health, near the beautiful mountains of the Khao Yai National Park, and surrounded by the practice energy of his students.

The purpose of this trip is primarily Thay’s health and wellbeing, and there are no plans for Thay to lead retreats, to join any particular sangha activities at the practice center, or indeed to receive any guests. This is to give Thay all the space and quiet he needs to support his health. Thay is receiving daily physical therapy and medical care, and is nourishing himself with his practice of mindful breathing, mindful eating, mindful exercise and so on. As his health permits, we hope that Thay may be able to join some sangha activities from time to time.

When Thay arrived at Thai Plum Village, our large fourfold sangha gathered to welcome him with love, deep respect, and joy. Thay eagerly directed his attendants to turn his wheelchair around so he could see everyone’s faces, and look into the eyes of each student, before he went into his hut to rest from the flight.

Here at Thai Plum Village we have just finished a retreat for healthcare providers, with about 140 participants (December 10 to 14 ). During the retreat, on December 11th, the sangha practiced walking meditation around the grounds after sitting meditation as usual, and we stopped to practice mindful movements close to Thay’s hut. Thay was sitting by the window watching us while his attendant giving him a hand massage. After we finished doing some exercise, the sangha all turned to bow to Thay, and he gently waved his hand in greeting.

From December 25 to January 1, we will host a retreat for core sangha members from the Asia-Pacific region. This is a joyful annual event for us to build community, deepen our practice, and mindfully celebrate Christmas and New Year together. This year, over 300 practitioners will join us from Japan, China, Hong Kong, Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia, Vietnam and Thailand. We regret to announce that we are already at full capacity for this retreat, and registration is now closed.

Thay always reminds us, as his students, to practice wherever we are: whether we’re at home, at school or at work. We invite you all to keep Thay in your hearts with every mindful step and mindful breath. This is a wonderful way to connect to Thay, and to send him our energy as a gift, as a medicine and as strength to support his recovery.

Thai Plum Village Sangha, in association with the Buddhadasa Indapanno Archives (BIA) will be organizing a Day of Mindfulness in Plum Village Tradition on Tuesday, December 27 from 09h00 to 15h30, at the BIA (Railway Park, Bangkok). This event is part of a series of mindfulness events on the theme “New year, New Life…Following in the Footsteps of His Majesty King Bhumibol” The teachings and practices will be led by our senior Dharma Teacher from Plum Village France, Sister Chan Khong. You are warmly welcome to register to attend the event at: http://register.bia.or.th/

For more news of upcoming Days of Mindfulness and retreats led by the Thai Plum Village sangha, please visit www.thaiplumvillage.org, or contact us via:
Facebook: Thai Plum Village
Email: visitus@thaiplumvillage.org

????????????????????????????????????

Thay was present at the gathering a few days ago to welcome the new novices into the monastic community. That is sitting center, and the novices are sitting in inner circle, with headscarves and newly shaven heads!

Posted in News Tagged with: , , , , , ,
21 comments on “Thich Nhat Hanh in Thailand
  1. Sue Rempel says:

Dear Beloved Thay,
    Your teachings have been the boat that has carried me through the past 20 some years of my wonderful life. I continue to study and practice with you each day. These past many years I have had a nerve injury and have spent much time in bed, but through your teachings I have been able to look out my window and smile to the blue sky and the clouds floating by and remember how truly blessed I am to listen to the birds singing and enjoy the breeze as it gently blows the branches on the trees outside. I have sat with your beautiful photograph and your calligraphy “be still and heal” by my bed – this stillness has been one of the many gifts you have given me. Now I am better… and I walk for you.
    I hope you find healing in beautiful Thai Plum Village. I imagine you healing day by day… In my dreams, I imagine you have found a healer there who can reverse strokes and allow you to speak again and practice calligraphy again and walk again. I wish so much I could send Dr Jason Hao to you, but I am sure there are others there who can perform miracles, too. Every time I see him reverse a stroke in just a few treatments, I imagine it is you and I smile. Sending you a beautiful sunset from Santa Fe, New Mexico

2. Annette Peizer says:

Thay,
    I am reading your book, “At Home in the World” now, and I feel like you are a close friend to me. The book is greatly helping me think about how to respond to my 21 year old daughter who is going through a difficult time now. Reading your book is preparing me to listen, love, and be an emotional support for her when we meet.
    I’ve read many of your other books,and hope to get more into mindfulness. You have touched me and millions of others like me who haven’t even been actively involved in mindfulness, but read your books and think about what you write–a lot. Thank you so much. Just like you told Martin Luther King, Jr he was a Bodhisattva, so are you! We are all blessed by your presence. Thank you so, so very much!

3. Mindfully Yours says:

Dear Sangha,

It has been a long time since your last update on the health and well-being of our loved one, Thay.

We are awaiting for your update with at most love, respect, and compassion.

Lotus to you dear one

4. Caroline Beer says:

Dear Thich Nhat Hanh 🌞
    You are love ❤ You plants some smiles 😊 I will always plant some smiles 😊
    I will thank you for all what you have done for us and our earth 🌱🌻🍀❤
    I want to visit Plum Village in Germany or in France with my children. I hope so much that I can meet you there some time.
    I wish best health and love for you – dear Thich Nhat Hanh 💛❤💚💙🍀🌠
    …and peace and love for all human on our wonderful planet in this great mystic universe. 💚🍀💝✨🌠
    Aloha – in deep admiration
    yours Caroline

5. Laurie says:

Bless you, your teaching and the inspiration from Plum Village. Be well dear ❤️ heart.

6. June says:

Please post update of how our inspiring and gentle teacher is doing. It is a few months since the last one posted here.

7. sabine says:

I got in touch with THAY´s teaching and books when I was sick. – You gave me so much hope and peace, THAY. Thank you so much. – I wish you all the best in the world !!! Sabine from Germany

8. Sarah says:

Just started reading Thichs books. Very inspirational man.

May he be surrounded with love and peace.

Thank-you.

9. Ray Hood says:

For a long time I’ve yearned to go to Plum Village. It hasn’t happened yet but I hope one day it will be possible. I send my love and regards to Thay and the Sangha. Thank you for your work. Peace and Love to all beings.

10. Jim says:

I was so fortunate to be in the room the night of this photo.

Jim Ward
    Volunteer English Teacher
    Plum Village Thailand

11. Dulal Dasgupta says:

I am very lucky because I got the opportunity for reading some life changing text and teachings of Thich Nhat Hanh.

My deepest love for everybody, every thing of this universe.

12. Robin Dolsky Bach says:

Namaste wonderful people, may you all be well in the year to come. It is so wonderful to know that Beloved Teacher Thich Nhat Hanh is with us in this these trying times. I never met our beloved teacher, but know him through his books and talks, and read from Peace Is Every Step, and give it as a a gift often. I wish one day day to be blessed to be able to come to Plum Village. Let’s all pray for peace.
    Robin DB
    New York City

13. Miho Naito says:

Thay,
    A Happy New Year to you !!

14. Alice thi Nguyen says:

nearly a few weeks ago, some friends told me about thien su thinh nhat Hanh. I went to his web site and listened on his teachings about But (Budda) and many more about how to love myself, be truth to myself, and compassion toward mankind. I am so happy to learn so much about Vietnamese Buddism, the truth culture and philosophy of Vienamese Buddism. I am a Vietnamese,went to high school in Vietnam and grow up in America. I wish good health for him and I wish to tell him now is the time for him to practicing his teaching for himself. Just simply eat well, sleep good, exercise breathing, do not work hard, and allow someone to take care him.

15. Phil says:

Wishing Thay and the Thai Sangha lots of legendary mindful moments together.

16. Many thanks, all so lovely, what a gift! Trish