Coming of the Dharma
Brother Chân Pháp Lai was ordained as a novice monk on May 26th 2002 in the “Bead Tree” family. He received full ordination as a bhikshu on January 14th 2006, and the Lamp Transmission as a Dharma Teacher in January 2010.
Br. Pháp Lai is passionate about nature. While working as an ecologist in Scotland, he realised that living in community is one of the most sustainable ways of living. This led him to the Plum Village community where he now shares his passion through his teachings, guided walks, stories, plays, and music.
Br. Pháp Lai has been actively involved in bringing Plum Village practices into education through the Wake Up Schools initiative. Every summer, many English-speaking children eagerly await the lively Dharma stories told by “Brother Ben”.
Br. Pháp Lai spent a large part of his youth in Africa, and has continued this affinity through his support for social workers in war torn Liberia. He has also offered talks on peace building in Northern Ireland and Columbia.
Within the community, Br. Pháp Lai’s humour, humility, sincerity, and wisdom have made him an endearing elder brother. His favourite practices are Dharma sharing and walking in nature, and he loves impromptu theatre and music.
- Mindful Eating: Featuring Brother Phap Lai
- Seasoning the Soup with Peace – Mindfulness Bell #36 Summer 2004
- “Mitakuye Oyasin” – Mindfulness Bell #37 Autumn 2004
- Sitting in the Spring Breeze – Mindfulness Bell #46 Autumn 2007
- The Question of Overpopulation – Mindfulness Bell #50 Winter/Spring 2009
- Compassion Is the Energy that Protects – Mindfulness Bell #54 Summer 2010
- Fertile Ground – Mindfulness Bell #56 Winter/Spring 2011
- Peace in the Heart of London – Mindfulness Bell #63 Summer 2013